A good hot bowl of soup is one of my all-time favorite things. I was looking for a quick throw-together dinner + literally just pulled these random items out of our cabinets to make a soup. It turned out to be a nice creamy soup + could probably be used for a delicious pot-pie filling.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (not pictured, I decided to add this later on)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp chives, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (not pictured)
- 32 oz (4 cups) chicken broth
- 16 oz package pumpkin gnocchi (these are from World Market)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
Bring a large pot of water to a boil + add a pinch of salt. Add your chicken + boil for 15-20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
While your chicken is boiling, prepare your onion, garlic, thyme + chives.
When the chicken is done, cube it into bite-size pieces.
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, thyme + chives. Cook until the onion is translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
Add the chicken + chicken broth; bring to a simmer.
Add gnocchi, spinach, tomatoes + peas. Simmer until the gnocchi floats + the spinach is wilted; approximately 3 minutes.
Finally, add the cream of chicken soup + cook until just heated through; approximately 2-3 more minutes.
That’s it! We served with buttered sourdough bread. Makes approximately 4-6 servings depending on your bowl size.